AGAWAM, Mass. (WWLP) – As temperatures get colder, bugs will start to make their way inside homes.
Braman Termite & Pest Elimination, a pest management company, is warning homeowners that stink bugs, cluster flies, ladybugs, and spiders are likely to make an appearance inside homes in coming weeks, if they haven’t already.
Adult stink bugs, cluster flies, and ladybugs don’t present a health threat to people. The National Pest Management Association recommends prevention tips to minimize the chance of an invasion.
- Seal cracks around window frames, doors, and the conjunction of construction elements such as where the chimney meets the siding.
- Reduce outdoor lighting or use yellow bulbs, which are less attractive to insects.
- Repair damaged window screens and install door sweeps on exterior doors.
- Install screens over attic vents.
- Properly ventilate basements, attics, garages and crawl spaces. Dehumidify damp spaces.
- If any of these insects have already entered your home, use a vacuum cleaner to remove them. Dispose of the vacuum bag to prevent odor from spreading throughout your home.
Spiders prefer to spin their webs in dark, undisturbed areas around the house. Home owners should pay attention to basements, garages, and attics. The NPMA recommends keeping these areas clean and free of clutter.
Experts also suggest tips to avoid contact with spiders.
- Install screens and weather stripping on windows and door sweeps on doors.
- Fix any cracks in siding and walls, especially where pipes or wires enter the home.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from your house.
- Wear gloves when moving items that have been stored for a long period of time.
- Inspect items such as boxes of seasonal items before bringing them indoors.
- Store out of season clothing and shoes inside plastic containers. Check before putting them on, as spiders may hide in them.
- If you suspect a spider has bitten you, contact your primary care physician for medical advice.
- If you have a spider infestation in your home, contact a licensed professional.