SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – 22News is continuing to follow allegations that four unarmed black men were attacked by a group of off-duty police officers at a parking lot in Springfield last year.
The incident in question happened in April 2015 in Springfield. Four men allege that a group of eight to 10 off-duty Springfield police officers jumped them. 22News asked Springfield Mayor Domenic Sarno whether there is surveillance video of that incident.
“This is an ongoing investigation, and you have the District Attorney looking at cases. The investigation has to go forward, facts are facts,” Sarno said.
22News went to that plaza Wednesday, and found four surveillance cameras in the area; two at Rite Aid and two at the Bank of America branch. Rite Aid confirmed that two of the surveillance cameras are theirs. 22News left a message with their legal department to find out whether the video has been subpoenaed.
We also made two attempts to call the Hampden County District Attorney’s Office, but we have not received a call back.
Earlier this week, Springfield Police Commissioner John Barbieri’s office told us that he would be out-of-town until Monday.
22News will continue to follow this story on-air and here on WWLP.com.