Ghost pepper burned hole in man’s esophagus

Man ate hamburger with ghost pepper puree as part of a contest

AP Photo
AP Photo

(KRON)—Imagine eating something so hot that it tears a hole in your esophagus and have to spend more than three weeks in the hospital. That is exactly what recently happened to one man.

The details came out during a study by the University of California San Francisco.

The culprit is a ghost pepper. The man had eaten a hamburger smothered with a ghost pepper puree as part of contest.

It was so hot that it caused a two-and-a half centimeter tear in his esophagus.

This is how hot the pepper is:

In Scoville units, which measures the heat, it clocks in at one million.

A habanero comes in at half-a-million.

A jalapeno anywhere between 2,500 to 8,000.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s