CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) – A delicious and nutritious stew perfect for fall! Chef Bill Collins from chefbill.com showed us how to make Chicken Stew with Root Vegetables.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and diced
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
2 celery stalks, diced
4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes
4 cups chicken stock
6 oz can tomato paste
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon thyme
1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
4 medium red potatoes, cut into 2-inch pieces
8 chicken thighs, bone-in, skin removed (approximately 3 pounds)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat a large stockpot over a medium heat. Add the olive oil, and the onions, carrot, and celery. Sautee for 8-10 minutes, or until the vegetables start to cook through
2. Add the garlic, and sauté for 30 seconds, or until it becomes fragrant
3. Add the tomatoes and chicken stock, and bring to a simmer. Stir in the tomato paste, oregano and thyme, and bring the mixture back to a simmer.
4. Add the sweet and red potatoes, and the chicken. Make sure all of the chicken is submerged into the liquid.
5. Gently simmer the mixture for approximately 35 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. The potatoes will be cooked through by this time, too.
6. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, and serve immediately, over rice, pasta, quinoa, or spaghetti squash
Makes 4-6 servings