CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) – Pancakes can be delicious even when they are both vegan and gluten-free! Cathie Cappa, Owner and Chef at Auntie Cathie’s Kitchen in West Springfield, showed us how to make the pancake batter, and then add in all different kinds of mix-ins to make both savory and sweet meals.
Vegan & Gluten Free Pancakes
1 Cup Gluten-Free Flour
1 Tablespoon Flax Meal
2 Teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup (or honey or sugar)
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup non dairy milk
1. Grease a griddle, and preheat over medium heat. (Or you can use a pan on your stovetop.)
2. In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, flax meal, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the maple syrup, vanilla, applesauce, and milk. Slowly mix half of the liquid into the dry ingredients, stirring continuously, and the rest ¼ cup at a time to avoid a runny batter. Mix until you get the lumps out of the batter.
4. On your griddle, begin to cook the pancakes, using about ¼ cup of the batter for each one.
5. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until they start to bubble around the edges and flip. Cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the griddle, and serve.