CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) Do your dogs love a good treat now and then? With store bought treats being filled with preservatives, it’s time we put those down and make our own! Here to show us how is Shawn Sherry, CEO of the Barkers Dozen.
Pup-kin Pie Biscotti for Dogs
- 4 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup of pumpkin purée
- 1 cup of non-dairy yogurt chips
- 3 Tablespoons of canola oil
- Mixing bowl
- Microwave Oven
- Electric Mixer (Optional)
- Cutting Board
- Sharp Knife
- Small bowl
- Wax Paper
- Cookie sheet
- 1. Preheat oven to 325F.
- 2. Into the mixing bowl, add the flour and water and pumpkin. Utilize either the electric mixer or hands to create a dough.
- 3. Onto the cookie sheet place the dough. Using your hands, mold the dough into a loaf shape on the pan.
- 4. Place the pan into the preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until the loaf feels stiff to the touch.
- 5. Take the loaf out of the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- 6. Place the loaf onto the cutting board and and using the knife, slice the loaf into 1/2″ thick pieces.
- 7. Place the sliced pieces back onto the cookie sheet and return to oven.
- 8. Turn oven temperature up to 375F and bake for 45 minutes (or until the treats feel hard to the touch), flipping the slices over after 20 minutes.
- 9. Take the treats out of the oven and allow to cool.
- 10. Place the non-dairy yogurt chips into the small bowl and pour the canola oil over the chips.
- 11. Place the bowl of yogurt chips into the microwave and cook for 1 minute.
- 12. Remove the melted yogurt and mix to a uniform consistency with the spoon.
- 13. Remove the cooled treats from the cookie tray and place wax paper onto the pan.
- 14. Dip each treat lengthwise into the melted yogurt to allow approximately 2″ worth of treat to be covered.
- 15. Place each treat onto the wax paper tray to harden.
- 16. Treats can be stored in fridge for up to 1 week.