GREENFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – The Franklin County Courthouse is expected to open on January 1, 2017. Because of that, parking in the downtown area will be harder find, which is why Greenfield is holding a lottery to win a guaranteed parking space downtown next year.
Parking changes will be effective November 1, 2016. Permits will be designated to specific lots, as they have been in the past, in order to handle the increased demand put on public parking by the return of the Courthouse.
According to the Greenfield mayor’s asstant for special projects, John Lunt, Greenfield uses the lottery system is to ensure fairness. “We have to have people assigned to lots because we are so full that we will be using lots all over town equally, more evenly than we have in the past,” he explained. “That way we can guarantee people will have a spot.”
Lunt told 22News they’ve added two new parking lots on Franklin and Congress Streets. This will provide 100 new spaces for those with parking permits.
The 2017 Parking Permit Selection Date Lottery entry form will be open for sign up from noon on Thursday, October 6 to noon on Thursday, October 20.
At the end of the sign-up period, you will be assigned a selection date at random. On the assigned selection date, you will be able to purchase a permit to the available parking lots on a first-come-first-served basis at Town Hall.
- October 24
- October 25
- October 26
- October 27
- October 28
People entered in the Lottery will be notified about their selection date via email on Friday, October 21. A list of the lottery results will also be posted in Town Hall and online.
2017 Permit Options and Prices:
- Ames Street Lot, $250 annual, $1.00 per day
- Downtown Economy Lot (between Chapman and Davis) $200 annual, $0.80 per day
- Fire Station Lot, $400 annual, $1.80 per day
- Fiske Avenue Lot, no permit parking, pay and display only
- Franklin Area Street Parking, $200 annual, $0.80 per day
- Hope Street Lot, $400 annual, $1.80 per day
- Legion Avenue Lot, $200 annual, $0.80 per day
- Miles Street Lot, $250 annual, $1.00 per day
- Olive Street Lot, no permits will be sold for this lot
- Pleasant Street Lot, $200 annual, $0.80 per day
- Prospect Area Street Parking, $200 annual, $0.80 per day
- Town Hall Lot, $250 annual, $1.00 per day
The entry form can be filled out at the Treasurer/Collector’s Office in Town Hall or can be found here.