AMHERST, Mass. (WWLP) – The University of Massachusetts Amherst has no plans to ban clown costumes this Halloween.
UMass Amherst spokesman Ed Blaguszewski told 22News there was never a clown on campus, although students went looking for one Monday night. Clown costumes, nor any other costumes, have so far been banned as a result.
UMass students told 22News the craze has been disruptive on campus, and is also creepy. “It’s just a culmination of energy, plus a small rumor, so I don’t know, but I think it’s fake,” said Varan Culanathan.
Monica Kearney said, “I’m walking alone at night, coming back from the library, and it’s just kind of creepy. I wouldn’t want something popping out at me when I’m coming back alone.”
Blaguszewski said students are encouraged to call campus police or the campus escort service if they feel scared or threatened.
Related Creepy Clown Coverage:
- Creepy clown sightings reported in Northampton
- Why people think clowns are so creepy
- Hoax reports of clown sightings at colleges in western Massachusetts
- Spokesman: Reported clown sightings on Springfield College campus appear bogus
- Report of possibly armed clown caused brief scare at Merrimack College
- Creepy clown video shot in Agawam goes viral online