CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) – Cauliflower is such a trendy food right now, that we decided to learn more about it! Chef Bill Collins from chefbill.com showed us how to make Cauliflower Rice, Roasted Cauliflower, and Buffalo Cauliflower.
Large head cauliflower, cut into large chunks
2 tablespoons olive oil
- Place cauliflower chunks in a food processor and pulse until broken down into rice-size pieces.
- Preheat a large skillet over a medium heat. Add the olive oil and cauliflower. Cover the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally for 5-8 minutes, or until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.
Makes 4-6 servings
NOTE: You can also grate the cauliflower on the large, shredding holes on a box grater instead of using a food processor.
Whole Roasted Cauliflower
1 large cauliflower
Place a heavy oven-proof skillet in the oven and preheat the oven to 375º
- Break off and discard the outer leaves from the cauliflower. Cut off the bottom of the stem, and any remaining leaves. Carefully remove enough of the main stem so the cauliflower can sit flat in the pan.
- Rinse the cauliflower, but don’t dry it. Place it on a flat surface, core side up. Drizzle it with olive oil, inside, then all over. Rub it with your hands so it’s evenly coated. Sprinkle with salt.
- Place the cauliflower in the hot pan in the oven, core side down, and cook until it’s very tender all the way through when pierced with a knife, approximately 1-2 hours, depending on the size of the cauliflower.
- While it’s roasting, brush it 2 or 3 times with more olive oil.
- To serve, cut the cauliflower into wedges.
Makes approximately 6-8 servings
2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
1 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon agave or honey
1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
½ teaspoon Tabasco or other hot sauce
½ cup blue cheese, crumbled
8 cups of cauliflower florets, rinsed and dried, then cut into bite-sized pieces (approximately 2 cauliflower heads)
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon butter, melted
3 tablespoons hot sauce
Whisk together the mayonnaise, yogurt, agave, Worcestershire Sauce, and Tabasco. Stir in the bleu cheese, and refrigerate for at least two hours. This can be prepared up to two days ahead.
Preheat the oven to 425º
- Place the cauliflower on a sheet pan with sides, and coat with the olive oil and salt
- Roast in the oven for 15 minutes, turning it over every five minutes. Cook for a slightly longer time if needed, to make sure the cauliflower is cooked through.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, combine the melted butter and hot sauce, and place in a large bowl.
- Remove the cauliflower from the oven when it’s down, and gently mix it in the butter and hot sauce.
- Serve with bleu cheese dip.
Makes 6-8 servings