1 dead after officer-involved shooting at Foxwoods Resort Casino

The suspect was shot and fell from the fourth floor and onto a paved driveway

State Police blocking off access to Foxwoods Resort Casino after a shooting incident at a parking garage on the property (WTNH / Tina Detelj)

LEDYARD, Conn. (WTNH/WWLP) — Officials from the Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation confirm to 22News’ sister station News 8 that Connecticut State Police were investigating a deadly shooting incident on the property of Foxwoods Resort Casino in Ledyard.

According to the Connecticut State Police, the suspect had an active warrant out for his arrest, so Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Police Officers attempted to arrest him on the fourth floor of the Fox Tower parking garage.

As the officers approached, State Police said the suspect pointed a firearm at them. Police ordered him to drop the firearm, and after he didn’t comply, State Police said at least one officer fired a shot.

The suspect was hit and then fell from the fourth floor and onto a paved driveway, State Police said. The officers attempted first aid on the suspect, but he was dead. There were no other reported injuries.

Immediately afterwards, the lobby of the Fox Tower went into lockdown.

“She thought it was surreal because people just kept going about business at the show talking whatever but they just couldn’t leave that convention area,” said Tom Thibeault of Saratoga Springs, N.Y., whose wife was in the convention center area of the hotel.

While they were kept informed, workers at the Tanger outlet stores told News 8 they were never told what was going on and they still haven’t gotten any information. After the New York-New Jersey bombings they were edge.

The situation was contained for hours and the Foxwoods Resort remained completely open, but the Fox Tower garage remained closed while the State Police investigated. The Eastern District Major Crimes Unit was also called in to investigate.

Thibeault’s wife was stuck for hours in the valet area of the hotel. “Initially it was scary but then it was a little frustrating. I mean I just kind of take it for what it is.  There’s been a lot of terrible things in this world and I’ve kind of… I was across the street when 911 happened so for me this is like okay there’s a lot worse things that happen you just have to be calm,” said Michelle Thibeault.

By 6:00 p.m., the scene was no longer active. State Police and Tribal Police conducted their investigation and police said there was no public threat.

The identity of the suspect is not being released until the next of kin is notified.

Comments are closed.