CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) – There are so many myths that come along with the stigma of mental illness. Ken Dolan-Del Vecchio, Author, Family Therapist and Health and Wellness Executive visited the show to break the stigma surrounding mental health and shed light on the myths.
Mental illness is common:
- 1 in 5 Americans live with a mental illness
- At least 1 in 10 Americans live with depression
- At least 16% of adults in the United States have an addiction
- Depression is the number 1 disability worldwide
- 28% of disability is caused by mental illness
- 14% of disability is caused by heart disease
- 13% of disability is caused by cancer
- Most mental illnesses respond well to treatment
- Only 33% of those who could benefit seek treatment, most likely due to the stigma
What can we do to combat the myths and stigma?
- BREAK THE SILENCE!!!
- Talk about mental illness the same way you do other illnesses
- Open discussions in community and workplace
- Encourage friends and family to seek help from professional care (therapist/physician)
- Be supportive!