CHICOPEE, Mass. (WWLP) – Overnight work on Interstate 91 will cause some ramp and lane closures from Thursday night into Friday morning, which will also impact Interstate 291 and Interstate 391. The Massachusetts Department of Transportation is putting the closures in place so contractors can paint lane markings, and so that signs can be adjusted.
The following closures/lane restrictions will be in place:
- Ramp from I-391 South to I-91 South – Closed from 9:00 P.M. to 5:00 A.M.
- Only one lane open on I-91 South near I-391 interchange 10:00 P.M. to 5:00 A.M.
- Ramp from I-91 North to I-291 East – Closed from 9:00 P.M. to 5:00 A.M.
- I-91 South traffic rerouted to Exit 7-6 from 1:00 A.M. to 5:00 A.M.
The following detours will be in place:
- To access I-91 South from I-391 South in Chicopee: Take Exit 1B on I-391 South to merge onto I-91 North. After crossing the Connecticut River, take Exit 13B, keep left, and merge onto I-91 South.
- To access I-291 East/Route 20 East from I-91 North: Take Exit 9 and keep right for Exit 9A to Route 20A East/Main Street. Merge onto Plainfield Street, then turn right onto Main Street. Turn left onto Liberty Street, then turn left onto Chestnut Street. Take the ramp on the right to access I-291 East/Route 20 East.
- To continue to I-91 South (refer to Stage 1B detours for details and maps): Take temporary Exit 7-6 and merge onto West Columbus Avenue. Continue south onto East Columbus Avenue through the rail underpass. Bear right onto West Columbus Avenue behind the I-91 North Garage. Continue onto Hall of Fame Avenue. After passing Union Street, use the left lane to merge onto the on-ramp to I-91 South.