EAST LONGMEADOW, Mass. (WWLP) – 22News discovered on Tuesday that the new East Longmeadow Town Councilors have to decide what they’ll be paid. The new Town Charter doesn’t specifically state a salary for Town Councilors.
Council Vice President Paul Federici told 22News they’re working with the town accountant, but the situation is a little uncomfortable. He said, “The money in theory is there for something reasonable. The question is what becomes reasonable? We don’t go into it to get paid but there is a value for our service to the town.”
Former Charter Commission member Ralph Page said the pay rate was intentionally left out because whatever rate they set, could have just been override with a Town Council vote. He said it’s important for the council to have an open discussion, and to take input from citizens.
Federici added that they’re currently reviewing comparable salaries from other towns.
Related East Longmeadow Town Council Coverage:
- East Longmeadow withholding settlement money for former police chief
- New town council for East Longmeadow sworn in
- East Longmeadow’s government to begin transition period
- 7 people selected for the new East Longmeadow Town Council
- 32 running for East Longmeadow’s first-ever Town Council
- East Longmeadow Select Board: “We will not settle”