CHICOPEE, Mass. (WWLP) – All-electronic tolling is coming to the Massachusetts Turnpike next month, and if you haven’t gotten an E-ZPass transponder yet, you don’t have much time before you’re paying more to use I-90. The E-ZPass MA Sign-Up Van made a stop at the Chicopee Public Library Wednesday morning.
A good crowd of local residents showed up to pick-up a transponder and enroll in the program.
“I was concerned that if I don’t get it, it’s going to end up costing me more. I had seen a story on 22News that they would just send you an invoice,” Susan Byrne of Springfield said.
With the elimination of the toll booths, drivers will be charged every time they pass underneath the “gantries” that have been set up along the Pike. Drivers who do not have an E-ZPass transponder will be sent a bill through a new “Pay by Plate” system, and that bill will be at a higher rate than E-ZPass holders will pay.
There is still time to obtain an E-ZPass transponder before the changeover. The E-ZPass MA Sign-Up Van will be visiting the following locations in the coming days:
- September 21- Granby Senior Center, 10 West State Street, Granby. 10:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M.
- September 22 – The Big E, 1305 Memorial Avenue, West Springfield. 9:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M.
- September 24 – Lenox Apple Squeeze, Main Street and Sunset Avenue, Lenox. 10:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M.
- September 28 – Monson Senior Center, 106 Main Street, Monson. 10:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M.
- September 29 – South Hadley Farmers’ Market, Town Common, South Hadley. 2:00 P.M. to 6:00 P.M.
You must bring your vehicle registration and a photo ID to get a transponder. The transponders themselves are free, but there is an initial $20 fee payable by credit card, cash or check which will be used to put money into the transponder account as a starting balance.
You can also sign-up for an E-ZPass online at ezpassma.com, or you can visit an E-Z Pass MA Customer Service Center. There are locations at the Mass Pike eastbound service plaza in Lee, and at 27 Midstate Drive in Auburn. Additional locations are in East Boston, Natick, and Saugus.