SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Students and faculty members were evacuated from Springfield Central High School for more than a half an hour Wednesday morning, due to the smell of natural gas inside the building.
Andrea Luppi, spokesperson for Columbia Gas of Massachusetts, told 22News that the fire department had the building evacuated at around 9:10 Wednesday morning.
Dennis Leger, aide to the Springfield Fire Commissioner, said that the smell appeared to be coming from the third-floor science wing. Springfield firefighters and Columbia Gas workers used meters to test the levels of gas in the area, but did not find anything unusual. He said they are still unsure of just what was causing the odor.
As of 9:50, Leger said that the school had been given the “all clear,” and students were allowed back to class.