Caught on Camera: Vape battery explodes in woman’s purse

The single mom says her first thought was it was some kind of attack

vape-battery-explosion

(CNN) – It was a typical Sunday shopping day at the mall for Mara McInerney.  From surveillance video inside a Sunglass Hut at the Freehold mall, her purse seems to explode just as she’s paying. Turns out it was a battery for her vaporizer that exploded.

“I had the battery in this pocket by itself, it exploded. Thru the pocket.  Charred everything melted everything in the bag.”

The single mom from old bridge says her first thought was some kind of attack or shooting.

“What I heard first was the bang, and it being 9-11. It kind of sounded like a gunshot.  The whole bag was engulfed in flames.”

She would like to be reimbursed for the purse, worth hundreds of dollars and its contents, but more than pay-back, she is hoping her story serves as a warning to other’s who vape.

“Just knowing I have my child, bag in backseat, daughter in the car seat next to it. It’s scary and it could happen to everyone. Want people to be aware”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s