NORTHAMPTON, Mass. (WWLP) – Six candidates, all Democrats, are hoping to be the next state legislator to replace Rep. Ellen Story, who is retiring after 24 years of service. The candidates are:
- Vira Douangmany Cage, a school committee member,
- Solomon Israel Goldstein-Rose, a community activist,
- Sarah La Cour, the Executive Director of the Amherst Business Improvement District,
- Eric Nakajima, an economic development consultant
- Bonnie MacCracken, a state Democratic Committee member,
- Lawrence O’Brien, a teacher.
The 3rd Hampshire District is mainly rural, but there are a lot of voters, especially in Amherst. The district is diverse, including lots of farms and lots of schools, including UMass Amherst.
22News hosted a debate with five of the six candidates. You can see where the candidates stand on on priorities, a living wage, a mileage tax, license for undocumented immigrants, and legalizing recreational marijuana.