CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) – We are always looking for meals on-the-go, and this is the perfect solution! Cathie Cappa, Owner and Chef of Auntie Cathie’s Kitchen in West Springfield showed how to make omelets and instant noodles in mason jars.
Omelets in Mason Jars
1 c chopped sweet peppers
1 c cheddar
1 c mushrooms, sliced
1 c spinach
1/2 c plain yogurt
2 sausage patties
1 t olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a skillet, add the olive oil and sauté peppers and mushrooms.
3. Add sausage and cook until everything is cooked through.
4. Add spinach and turn off the heat. Mix spinach around until it’s wilted.
5. In a bowl, whisk together eggs and yogurt. When they are mixed well, add half of the cheese.
6. Fold in the pepper mixture until well combined.
7. Spray the inside of the jars with cooking spray and then add the egg mixture. Make sure to leave 1/2 to 1 inch from the top because they will rise.
8. Top each of the jars with the remaining cheese.
9. Place jars on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until the top is firm.
10. Let cool and then add your lid and store in the refrigerator or eat.
Note: These are 1/2 pint jars. If you use larger jars you will have to use more filling and it may take longer.
DIY Instant Noodle Cup
1 to 3 teaspoons of flavor base: Chile paste, miso paste or curry paste
1 to 3 teaspoons of flavoring extras – soy sauce or tamarin, coconut milk, sesame oil or other hot sauce
1/4 to 1/2 cup filler such as corn, carrots, peas, diced tofu, leftover cooked chicken, sliced spinach or other hearty greens
3/4 to 1 cup noodles – cooked udon, ramen or soba
1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh ingredients – fresh herbs, sliced green onions or bean sprouts
1. In a widemouth glass jar (heatproof) place flavor base and flavor extras in the bottom of the jar and stir to spread it around so it will dissolve more easily once you add the hot water.
2. Top with filler ingredients.
3. Add the Noodles.
4. Finish with the fresh ingredients and seal and refrigerate.
5. When ready to serve top with hot water, cover and steep 2 to 3 minutes and eat!