CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) You can use herbs for so much more than cooking! Carol Joyce is the Owner of White Buffalo Herbs in Warwick showed us how to use oregano in cooking & cosmetics.
To follow our series on Herbs, click here.
Simple Herbed CHILI
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 can diced tomatoes or fresh
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 can kidney beans, drained
- 1 Tbsp chili powder or 2 finely minced chili peppers
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp.Turmeric
- 1 Tbsp DAILY DASH
- Salt & pepper added at end, to taste Use cannellini beans instead of kidney if preferred
1. Brown burger in large skillet. Then drain off fat.
2. Add rest of ingredients (leaving salt & pepper to end). Stir
3. Simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes.
4. Serve hot with Oregano cornbread.
Serves 3-4 (Hint: tastes better if chilled in fridge overnight & then reheated).
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2/3 c sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1Tbsp oregano
- 3.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 c. melted butter of olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Lightly grease 9” round cake pan
3. Mix all ingredients in large bowl
4. Spread into cake pan & bake 15-25 minutes (watch it doesn’t get too dry)
Hint: if in a hurry use 1 package favorite cornbread mix & add oregano & melted butter to recipe, before baking.
OREGANO Herbal Oil
- 2 cups fresh picked oregano
- 2 cups organic Olive Oil
- Clean pint ball jar & lid
1 Lightly chop fresh oregano (be sure it is thoroughly dry-pick on sunny day & leave to wilt for 102 hrs before using).
2.Fill jar with herb.
3. Add oil to top of container.
4. Cap & steep in sunshine for 2 weeks.
5. Strain & keep in cool cupboard. DO NOT use if it comes pout cloudy or smells bad.
Oregano & Honey Mask
- Clean, small jar with lid
- 1/5 jar dried Oregano
- Honey to cover
1 Put dried Oregano in jar.
2. Add honey & stir.
3. Keep in fridge & use small amount on face; rinse off after 10 minutes with warm water.
4. Use weekly to help with acne or troubled skin.