CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) – With local vegetable in overabundance right now, Cathie Cappa with Auntie Cathie’s Kitchen showed us how to make pan fried tomato & feta salad with lemon dressing. Cathie also showed us how to quickly pickle cucumbers.
Pan Fried Tomato & Feta Salad with Lemon Dressing
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1 8-ounce piece of Feta cheese (not crumbled
- 2 large local tomatoes, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 6 cups arugula
- In a small bowl, combine 4 tablespoons of the oil, lemon juice, capers and parsley. Set aside
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add green beans and cook until tender (4-6 minutes). Drain and run under cold water.
- Cut the feta into 4 slices. Set aside to drain.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over a medium heat. Season tomato slices with thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook until lightly browned, about 1 minute per side.
- Wipe out the skillet and heat the remaining tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Coat the feta in bread crumbs and cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side.
- Arrange the arugula, tomatoes, beans and feta on plates.
Quick Refrigerator Pickles
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 2 rounded teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove cracked garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 Kirby cucumbers, cut into 1-inch slices on an angle
- Heat small saucepan over medium high heat
- add vinegar, sugar, mustard seed, salt and garlic to pan and cook until it begins to simmer and sugar dissolves.
- Toss dill, bay leaf, and sliced cucumbers together in a heat-proof bowl.
- Pour simmering liquid over the cucumbers and stir to evenly coat.
- Allow to cool to room temperature or chill before serving.