STAMFORD, Conn. (AP) — Fire officials in Connecticut are investigating whether a house fire in Stamford was caused by lightning during a thunderstorm.
Stamford fire Deputy Chief Eric Lorenz said in a statement Sunday the department responded to the home just after 9 p.m. Saturday during the height of the storm for a report of smoke inside the home.
Fire personnel determined the smoke was originating from a smoldering fire involving the natural gas pipeline inside a first-floor interior wall. The fire was extinguished, and the gas service to the home was disconnected.
Lorenz says the cause of the fire is under investigation by the Stamford fire marshal, who will determine whether the fire was related to the storm.