CHICOPEE, Mass. (WWLP) – The 22News Storm Team has declared Friday a Weather Alert Day due to the potential for some scattered heavy downpours and an isolated strong or severe thunderstorm this afternoon and into the evening.
Downpours and strong thunderstorms have already developed and will continue to push into Western Massachusetts during the rest of the afternoon. A Severe Thunderstorm Warning was issued for portions of Hampden and Hampshire Counties, but that has been allowed to expire. However, if a warning is issued for your area, you are urged to seek shelter immediately.
In addition to the downpour and storm concerns, it will be another very hot day with “feels like” temperatures approaching 100º this afternoon.
The main concerns will be the storm and downpour threats during the afternoon and evening. Here’s what we expect.
- 4PM-9PM Window for Storms and Downpours
- NOW-Early Evening: Scattered (more numerous)
- Mid-late Evening: Isolated lingering shower or storm
- Heavy Downpours which could cause street flooding (Main Concern)
- Isolated Damaging Wind Gusts
- Small Hail
- Dangerous heat will also be a concern as “feels like” temperatures reach 100º or higher in some areas.
- If street flooded “turn around, don’t drown”
- If you can hear thunder, you’re close enough to a storm to be struck by lightning
- If Severe Thunderstorm Warning is issued, then head inside a sturdy building immediately
|– Local Forecast||– Weather Text Alerts|
|– Temperatures||– Weather Email Alerts|
|– Weather News||– WWLP 22News Weather App|
|– Interactive Radar||– Live Area Webcams|