9 without a home after stove top fire in Springfield

Fire started early Friday morning on Miller Street

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – At least nine people can’t return to their home after a fire in Springfield’s Liberty Heights neighborhood.

Springfield Fire Department spokesman Dennis Leger told 22News firefighters were called to 141 Miller Street around 1:15 Friday morning.

He said smoke detectors at the two-family home weren’t working, but that the people living on the building’s second floor smelled smoke coming from below them.

Crews were able to find and put out a fire in the first floor kitchen that started on a stove top.

No one was hurt, but those living on both floors could not return following the fire.

Three people are being helped by the Red Cross while six were able to make arrangements for the night.

Click here to view on your mobile device. 

Comments are closed.