BOSTON (WWLP) – The Department of Public Health announced on Thursday that two Massachusetts residents became sick with E. coli after eating ground beef while in New Hampshire.
According to a news release from the MDPH, a total of 14 people became sick after eating ground beef that was processed at PT Farm, LLC in North Haverhill, New Hampshire. Only two people were from Massachusetts.
PT Farm recalled about 8,800 pounds of raw beef products that were possibly contaminated with E. coli O157:H7, which was announced on July 26, 2016 by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service.
The recall includes ground beef, ground beef patties and other sub-primal cuts, and were produced between June 6th and June 16th of this year. The products also have the establishment number “8868” inside the USDA mark of inspection on the product label, and would have one of the following names on the label:
- PT Farm (North Haverhill, NH)
- Robie Farm (Piermont, NH)
- Chestnut Farms (Hardwick, MA)
- Miles Smith Farm (Loudon, NH)
- Meadowview Farm (Gilmanton, NH)
- Farmer’s Brand (North Haverhill, NH)
- Webster Ridge Farm (Webster, NH)
The MDPH said the recalled products were shipped to retailers and for institutional use in Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Vermont. If you have one these products, fresh or frozen, you should get rid of them or bring them back to where you bought them.
E. coli can be deadly and cause dehydration, bloody diarrhea and abdominal cramps for two to eight days, according to the MDPH. Some can develop a type of kidney failure called hemolytic uremic syndrome, which can be noticed by easily bruised or grayish skin and decreased urine output.
Anyone with signs or symptoms of foodborne illness should talk with their health care provider, their local board of health, or the MDPH Epidemiology Program at 617-983-6800 which is available 24/7.