CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) Knowing pet heath checkpoints and first aid can save your pet’s life and save you a lot on vet bills! Jim Helems, Owner of Jim Helms Dog Pals in Southampton told us what to look out for.
Pet first aid & CPR class on July 31st at Dakin Humane Society.
- 20% discount for Mass Appeal: in promo code type in MassAppeal
- Class covers all of the below and a lot more.
Learn Snout To Tail Assessment:
- Nose, Teeth, Gums, Hydration level, Eyes, Ears, Spine, Skin, Coat, Legs (Paws, Joints, Nails, Range of motion), Paws, Abdomen, Genitals, Tail and 5 critical vital signs (Gum Color, CRT (Capillary Refill Time) Heart rate, Breathing rate, Temperature) and weight
Stool, is it:
- Firm, soft, Diarrhea, Bloody, mucusy, contain worms
Urine is it:
- Clear, Dark, Cloudy, abnormally smelly, bloody
Visit vet at least once per year, but I recommend twice a year
Ask vet for geriatric screening after dog turns 7 (middle age for most dogs)
- Blood Count
- Chemistry Panel
- Thyroid (T4)
- Urinalysis & Fecal
- Complete Blood Panel
- Nutritional Consult
- Blood Pressure
- Heart Function
- Liver & Kidney
- Oral Exam
- X-rays as needed