NORTHAMPTON, Mass. (WWLP) – A Missouri man is recovering from second degree burns, after his iPhone caught on fire in his pocket.
The man’s iPhone suddenly started to smoke, and then melted. As a result, the man threw his pants off, as he tried to escape the burning phone.
22News spoke with Mark Wineburg, owner of YES computers in Northampton. He said, this is a rare situation. “It’s usually caused by two things. One is physical damage to the phone itself. Unauthorized repair. And something you should really be careful about doing is, using unauthorized chargers or cables for any brand of cellphone.”
As for how likely this is to happen to you, there’s not much cause to worry. Wineburg said you’re more likely to be hit by lightning than you are to have your cellphone catch on fire.
He did, however, urge users to buy authorized chargers from your cellphone’s manufacturer.