CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) – We had planned to make Beer Can Chicken outside on the grill, but the weather didn’t cooperate today. So, Chef Bill Collins from chefbill.com showed us how to use all of the ingredients for the grill recipe to make a chicken recipe in a frying pan. Chef Bill also explained how we would have made the chicken on the grill.
Beer Can Chicken
2 tablespoons black pepper
3-4 tablespoons brown sugar
2-3 tablespoons paprika
1-2 tablespoons ground cumin or chili powder
2 tablespoons salt
1 whole roasting chicken
1 12 oz can of beer
Prepare your grill for indirect, medium-high heat grilling.
- Combine the first five ingredients, and rub the mixture all over the chicken. Pour out (or drink!) half the can of beer. Stand the chicken upright, with the cavity facing down. Place the half-filled beer can in the cavity, and arrange the chicken so that it can stand up, using the two legs to form a tripod.
- Place the chicken, standing up, on the grill, away from the direct heat. Rotate the chicken every 15-20 minutes so it will evenly brown.
- The chicken will take 1 ¼ – 1 ½ hours to cook. It will be done when a thermometer, reading 175°, is inserted between the leg and the thigh.Serves 4-6 people.NOTES:
- Before you take the chicken to the grill, stand it up on a sheet pan, to make sure it is stable, and won’t fall over when you place it on the grill.
- You don’t have to use beer. You can use almost any drinkable liquid in a can.