SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – A family of three in Springfield is without a home Sunday evening, after fire tore through their home and wiped out many of their belongings.
As you can see, the fire at 100 Euclid Avenue in the Forest Park neighborhood caused a lot of damage to the 2-and-a-half-story, single family home.
The blaze was well under way by 9 o’clock Sunday morning. The family was able to get out safely when the fire began upstairs.
Next-door neighbor Leida Aponte told 22News when she saw the heavy smoke, she called 9-1-1. “Well when I came out I saw there was a cloud of smoke, you couldn’t even see the firefighters it was so dark. I even caught a little bit of smoke, I even forgot about my dog.”
Springfield Fire Department spokesman Dennis Leger told 22News, the Arson Squad traced the cause of the fire to an electrical malfunction in the second floor bathroom.
The family left homeless will likely need help finding a temporary place to stay from the Western Massachusetts Red Cross emergency disaster team.