Springfield condo complex evacuated due to carbon monoxide

Gas-powered equipment being used in basement caused issue

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – About 100 people were evacuated from a downtown Springfield condominium tower Wednesday morning, due to high levels of carbon monoxide.

Springfield Deputy Fire Chief Glenn Guyer told 22News that residents were cleared from the Mulberry House condominiums at 101 Mulberry Street shortly before 10:00 A.M. He said that firefighters discovered haze in the basement, and the level of carbon monoxide there was at 180 parts per million, while the level inside the residential area of the condominium complex was 32 parts per million. Guyer said that anything over 35 ppm is a cause for concern.

He said that the cause was determined to have been the activity of a sweeper company, which was using gas-powered sweepers and leaf blowers in the basement.

Guyer said that alarms did not go off inside the building, and they were looking into why that happened.

Fans were been set up in the basement to ventilate the area, and the carbon monoxide readings were brought back down to acceptable levels. Residents were allowed to return home at around noontime.

Comments are closed.