AMHERST, Mass. (WWLP) – 4 companies have applied for medical marijuana dispensary licenses in Amherst. 3 of them are within a tenth of a mile from UMass, and 1 would close a popular sports bar in town.
Each proposal is at a different point in the approval process when it comes to permits and zoning. Here’s what we know:
- GTI Massachusetts NP Corporation is proposing a site at 169 Meadow Street, at Kimball’s Auction House
- Mass Medicum has proposed plans for 85 University Drive
- Massachusetts Alternative Care at 55 University Drive, at the former Hangar Pub and Grill
- Happy Valley Ventures, which once proposed a location in Ludlow, now wants to occupy 422 Amity Street, the location of Rafters Sports Bar and Restaurant
Nicholas Chavez of Amherst told 22News, “Of course it could be over saturated, but if its purposes are medicinal, and even if it’s recreational, it’s okay. I mean, how many pharmacies are there?”
Happy Valley Ventures Chairman Michael Reardon said they bought the property and will take over in September. If they win the license, they’re planning a state of the art dispensary. If not, it will be renovated into a better restaurant.
Rodger Cherewatti of Amherst said, “I’m going to really miss it, that’s for sure. A lot of people come, as far as I know, and I think it’s just a good place for kids and families to grow up with.”
Recreational Marijuana News:
- Recreational marijuana legalization in Massachusetts
- 4 marijuana dispensary applications submitted in Amherst
- Police: Traffic was bigger issue than the drug use during Extravaganja
- Massachusetts has no law against smoking pot and driving
- Easthampton medical pot dispensary would be near a park
- Hadley may be next for a medical marijuana dispensary