SOUTH HADLEY, Mass. (Mass Appeal) The air we breathe inside our homes is often worse than the air outside. Holistic Health Coach Jennifer Steiner showed us ways we can:
- Make your own cleaning supplies
- Avoid toxins in the kitchen
- Create bath products
- Buy safer rugs & furniture
- Create a safe garage
In the Kitchen – Storing food – Glass over plastic
In the Bathroom – deodorant and suntan lotion
In the Living Room – keeping the air clean with plants
- 2 cups white distilled vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 20-30 or more drops of essential oil (optional)
Suggested uses: hard surfaces like counter tops and kitchen floors, windows and mirrors.
Creamy Soft Scrub
- 2 cups baking soda
- ½ cup to 2/3 cup liquid castile soap
- 4 teaspoons vegetable glycerin (acts as a preservative, optional)
- 5 drops antibacterial essential oil such as lavender, tea tree, rosemary or any scent you prefer (optional)
Mix together and store in a sealed glass jar, shelf life of 2 years. Dry soft scrubs can be made with baking soda or salt (or combination of both) with 10-15 drops essential oil to scent.
Suggested uses: Use this creamy soft scrub on kitchen counters, stoves, bathroom sinks, etc.
Stainless Steel Cleaner
Use a small amount of olive oil with a soft cloth and rub with the grain onto appliance.