Emergency surgery performed on a dog who ate Gorilla Glue

24 hours later, the dog was in trouble and went into surgery

(CNN) – Meet Krystal and her Weimaraner, Lake, she’s six months old.

This puppy’s owner is thankful to have her fur baby safe after a very close call. Krystal says a family member brought over some Gorilla Glue for a house project and it was left out, in dog’s reach. Lake was curious, found it, ate it and look what happened.

That was Thursday, less than 24 hours later it was obvious the dog was in trouble.

Krystal Wilson, dog owner said, “Just a small amount had just swollen up to the size of a turkey leg, it was huge. Pretty much took the size of her stomach,”

Veterinarian Dr. Leonardo Baez said, “Gorilla Glue, surgery” Veterinarians worked fast. Within minutes Lake was in surgery. Dr. Baez said, “So the glue, once it gets to the stomach, it slowly starts expanding. You can see here it’s the perfect shape of a stomach, so you get a mold,”

The mold, solid as a rock.

Dr. Baez: “This thing is seriously hard.”

Reporter: Dr. Baez at midtown vets says Gorilla Glue has a very sweet taste, appealing to animals and even children.

Dr. Baez: “Just like any other chemical, do it yourself, just put them up high or in a box where the pets and the kids cannot get to it.”

Krystal Wilson said, “Puppy proof your house. Do it again. They can get into anything. Your kids, the same thing,”

A scary lesson for Krystal and her family.

Krystal: “It’s hard not to feel guilty, you feel like you kind of failed. We were very upset that we failed, but you know, you can’t prevent everything”

Reporter: But she says you can be extra cautious.

Krystal: “We’re very lucky that she’s here with us, back to her crazy self.”

Comments are closed.