Mom warns other parents of hot water in hoses

Water sitting in a hose under the sun could be as hot as 150 degrees

(CNN) – With summer here, you may not realize how hot something like water from the garden hose can get.

Dominique Woodger took her 9-month old baby Nicholas home to recover, after he received second degree burns to 30% of his body. He was accidentally sprayed with scalding hot water out of the garden hose, “All of it was peeling. He had blisters all over the right side.”

Woodger said she was about to fill a little pool with water, when she turned on the faucet and extremely hot water came out of the sprinkler head attached to the hose. Water got all over her baby who was sitting on the ground.

“I thought he was crying because he was mad, because he hates when he gets sprayed in the face, I didn’t think that it was burning him,” said Woodger

These are the kinds of contact burns Phoenix firefighters see often. When it’s 115 degrees outside, the water sitting in a hose under the sun could be as hot as 150 degrees. “So at those temperatures something as short as a 10 or 30 second exposure can result in a second degree burn,” said Capt. Larry Subervi.

The most common contact burn they see is from people walking on hot pavement. Capt. Subervi said if a burn breaks the skin, that’s when you should get medical treatment.

Woodger said doctors told her Nicholas will be okay, but she doesn’t want other parents and their children to experience the same pain.

Comments are closed.