Ticks causing pet paralysis

dog tick
Toxins released by ticks can be much more dangerous for your four-legged family members.

(KHQ) A warning for pet owners. It’s tick season and while they are definitely a nuisance, they can be much more dangerous for your four-legged family members.

It recently happened to a 4-year-old Yorkie named Tucker.

“I noticed he wasn’t able to jump up the stairs and get into the house,” says Kim Rose, Tucker’s owner. “Then I noticed his back legs were not working at all. It was like he was paralyzed.”

Just a few hours later he couldn’t move his legs at all. Rose took him to the pet ER.

Tucker had tick paralysis.

“It’s caused by a toxin that’s secreted through the salivary glands of the ticks,” explains Dr. Brian Hunter. “It can paralyze the diaphragm, the respiratory muscles, and so there is the risk of killing the dog.”

Read more: http://bit.ly/1Rrfzry

Comments are closed.