WESTFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – There have been several bear sightings recently; at least two this week.
Bears are waking up hungry and wandering into neighborhoods. This week, a bear was sighted in backyards of both Chicopee and Ludlow. Wild Life society Vice President Joseph McDonald told 22News, bird feeders and pet food attract bears.
- Related Story: Bear roaming through Chicopee backyards
- Related Story: Ludlow police issuing warning after bear sightings
- Related Story: Black bear found walking through South Hadley garden
Pamela Sanborn of Westfield said she learned the hard way, “Last year we had a bear that destroyed our feeder and then, proceeded to go next door and into our neighbor’s garage and pull out all of his bird feeder, which was a fifty pound gallon.”
The best way to keep bears from coming into your yard is to NOT invite them.
- Clean up dropped bird seeds, better yet, take down your bird feeder.
- Don’t feed your pets outside.
- Keep your garbage indoors, until trash day.
- And clean your grill after cooking on it.