(NBC News) Many parents view detergent pods as a convenient way to do laundry, but young kids often see detergent pods as bright and colorful toys…In sizes that fit perfectly in their small hands.
“They put them in their mouth and as soon as they pop that container, it squirts into the back of their throat and the game is over,” warns Dr. Gary Smith of Nationwide Children’s Hospital.
Ingesting the chemicals can cause severe burns, lung damage, and that’s not all.
Dr. Smith and colleagues at Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, Ohio say poison control centers took more than 62,000 calls about kids eating detergent pods between 2013 and 2014 alone.
It’s not just laundry detergents that are a concern. More and more children are getting their hands on dishwasher packets.
Manufacturers are strongly urging parents to keep these products out of the reach of children.
Read more: http://on.today.com/230Qtqd