WARE, Mass. (WWLP) – Two men are still in the hospital, after being treated for burns they suffered during a power plant accident in Ware Sunday.
There is still no word from the State Fire Marshal as to what caused Sunday’s surge in a transformer at the Pioneer HydroPower plant on East Main Street (Route 9). In addition to injuring the three men, the malfunction caused a small brush fire.
Neighborhood resident Judy Harris told 22News that she was passing by at the time, and saw smoke coming from the transformer.
“No bang, no anything. I didn’t hear anything, and it wouldn’t look like a lot of smoke either,” Harris said. “No flames. I’m looking for flames because you get smoke- I didn’t see much of it.”
One of the burned employees has since gone home after being treated at Baystate Mary Lane Hospital in Ware. Another Pioneer HydroPower worker is at a burns center in Boston, while a third is at UMass Memorial Medical Center in Worcester.