WMass teenager burned badly in a bonfire accident

The victim was first taken to a hospital in western Massachusetts

GRANVILLE, Mass (WWLP) – Poor Judgment during a bonfire gathering Saturday night nearly cost a teenager his life in the Western Hampden county town of Granville.

After the State Fire Marshall’s office had confirmed the near tragedy in the woods off Sodom Street, 22News spoke with Granville residents who had learned of the incident. State Fire Marshall spokesperson Jennifer Mieth told 22News, someone poured gasoline on the bonfire. Then, a sudden flash quickly ignited the teenager’s clothing

Mieth said companions showed the presence of mind to quickly prevent his death, by smothering the fire.

On Sunday afternoon, Granville residents who live near where Saturday night’s scary incident occurred shared their feelings with 22News.

Sue Crockette said, “It’s just so rural, that it’s hard for the police and firefighters to figure out if it’s even happening. It’s terrible, it’s hard for the emergency people to get to places so quickly.”

The State Fire Marshall’s spokesperson said, the victim was first taken to a hospital in western Massachusetts. He was then flown to a Boston burn center.

Comments are closed.