Small carbon monoxide leak caused evacuation at Chicopee Big Y

chicopee big y gas leak
Columbia Gas and Chicopee Fire Department crews investigating reports of a gas odor at the Big Y on Memorial Drive.

CHICOPEE, Mass. (WWLP) – More than a dozen Big Y employees are back to work, after being evacuated for about 45 minutes Wednesday morning due to a smell of natural gas.

Chicopee Deputy Fire Chief Wayne Lemay told 22News the call came in around 8:07 A.M. When firefighters and Columbia Gas crews got there, they found elevated levels of carbon monoxide coming from a malfunctioning heater in the storage area in the back of the building. Columbia Gas shut off the gas immediately as a precaution.

Big Y maintenance and Columbia Gas are working on repairing the heater.

The store is now back open.

Comments are closed.