@AskTSA: Can I fly without ID? What about Real ID?

If you do not have your ID, please allow extra time for check in

TSA030316_2(TSA) – Did you forget your ID at home? Did you lose your wallet or purse? Did your license expire and you don’t have time to renew it before you travel? No worries! Simply approach the TSA travel document checker and let our officer know. We’ll ask you to complete a form to include your name and current address, and may ask additional questions to confirm your identity.

If we can confirm your identity, you’ll be cleared to proceed through security and may be subject to additional screening. If we can’t confirm your identity with the information you provide or if you’re not willing to provide us with the information needed to help us make a determination, you may not be permitted to make the trip.

If you do not have your ID, please allow extra time for check in. We would not want you to miss you flight. In addition, please note that temporary IDs are not valid at the security checkpoint. Please see the list of approved identification below.

List of Approved Identification

TSA does not require children under 18 to provide identification when traveling with a companion within the United States. We recommend you contact your airline for questions regarding specific ID requirements for travelers under 18.


  • TSA030316_3Driver’s licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)
  • Permanent resident card
  • Border crossing card
  • DHS-designated enhanced driver’s license
  • Airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)
  • Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
  • HSPD-12 PIV card
  • Foreign government-issued passport
  • Canadian provincial driver’s license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
  • Transportation worker identification credential
  • Immigration and Naturalization Service Employment Authorization Card (I-766)


TSA030316_4Let me set the record straight. We’ll continue to accept valid driver’s licenses and identification cards issued by all states until January 22, 2018. See our FAQs on REAL ID.


TSA030316_6If you’re scratching your head and wondering what @AskTSA is, it’s a small team of TSA professionals from various agency offices who answer TSA related questions from the traveling public that are sent via Twitter. You can read more about the program in this recent USA Today article.

You may also wish to consult with your airline about any policies they may have regarding the item (s) you’d like to travel with.

If you have any TSA related travel questions, please send a tweet to our @AskTSA team. They’re available to answer your questions, 8 a.m.- 10 p.m., Eastern Time, weekdays; 9 a.m. -7 p.m., weekends/holidays.

Follow @TSA on Twitter and Instagram! 

Comments are closed.