Woman killed in a Wales house fire identified

WALES, Mass. (WWLP) – A 91-year-old woman has been identified as the victim who died in a house fire on Lake George Drive in Wales on February 21st.

According to Jim Leydon of the Hampden DA’s Office, June League was killed after a fire started in a greenhouse attached to her single-family home at 21 Lake George Drive. League was able to call 911, but was overcome by smoke and poisonous gases before the fire department arrived.

Leydon said the investigators determined the fire started at an outlet that had an extension cord plugged in it, powering a portable electric heater and an electrical fan. However, the Investigators can’t determine whether the fan or the space heater malfunctioned.

Also, there were no working smoke alarms in the home.

NOTE: The fire was investigated by the Wales Fire and Police Departments and State Police assigned to both the Office of the State Fire Marshal and the Office of Hampden District Attorney. Assistance was received from the Code Compliance Unit of the Department of Fire Services.

Comments are closed.