WEST SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Whether they are gas, propane, or battery-powered, generators can be very helpful, but you should use caution.
The most important thing to remember is you should never start or operate your generator inside your house or garage. Generators can generate carbon monoxide and it can collect and cause you serious harm or death.
If you’re hooking it up with an extension cord, a three-pronged cord is safer than a two-pronged one. Also, try leaving the cord in as straight a position as you can; if you leave them piled up or coiled, they can heat up and cause a fire hazard.
Michael Milikowski of the F.C. Taplin Company in West Springfield told 22News “One of the other major things that we also recommend to people is that when you’re using your generator, never fill it up with fuel while the engine is hot or running. Always let the generator cool down so that when you do add fuel there is a limited amount of fire hazard.”
Taplin has seen an increase in the number of calls from people looking for generators as more winter weather approaches. You can find information on generator safety on the State Fire Marshal’s website.