Chimney fire forces Agawam family from home

This serves as a reminder to have your chimney cleaned annually

AGAWAM, Mass. (WWLP) – The Red Cross assisted two adults and two children forced out of their Agawam home by fire Monday night.

Agawam Fire Lt. Edward Linehan told 22News a chimney fire got into the walls and spread to the attic of a single-family house at 150 Senator Avenue.

“We made a quick stop,” Lt. Linehan told 22News. “We prevented it from causing much more damage to the attic.”

There was damage to the siding next to the chimney on the exterior of the house. Lt. Linehan said that fire fighters attacked the flames from both the outside and the interior. He said the fire fighters were in the attic as well.

“It was a tight space,” Linehan said.

No one was hurt. The Red Cross of Western Massachusetts was helping the tenants find a place to stay.

The chimney was venting a fireplace in the front living room. Chimney fires are caused by the ignition of a buildup of creosote inside the flue. Once it catches fire, it burns very hot and is difficult to put out.

Lt. Linehan said this incident serves as a reminder to anyone with a chimney to have it serviced by a licensed chimney cleaner once per year.

Comments are closed.