BOSTON (WPRI) — Former students of a Rhode Island private school came forward Tuesday with allegations of sexual abuse by school employees.
At a news conference in Boston, attorneys said 40 men and women claim they were abused at St. George’s School in Middletown in the 1970s and 1980s.
The alleged victims also accuse administrators of covering up the incidents and are now calling for an independent investigation at the school, according to the attorneys.
An internal investigation conducted by the school, which WPRI.com reported last month, found that more than two dozen students were sexually abused by six school employees. Two of the alleged perpetrators include a current Episcopal priest & an assistant school choir director in New York City.
At least one alleged victim is calling for the current head of the school, Eric Peterson, to step down.
Saint George’s said in a statement they were “truly, deeply sorry,” and announced plans for a support group and therapy funds for the victims.
The attorneys said prosecution may be possible for some of the alleged perpetrators as there is no statute of limitations for rape in Rhode Island.
Attorneys believe more alleged victims will come forward. Anyone with information is asked to call Rhode Island State Police Capt. Matthew Moynihan (401) 444-1012.