(NBC News) Investigators now say the couple responsible for the San Bernardino massacre were radicalized long before the attack, and even before they met.
Law enforcement sources tell NBC News there are indications Syed Farook was planning an attack on a California target three years before he and his wife, Tashfeen Malik, killed 14 and wounded 21 inside the Inland Regional Center.
“As early as the end of 2013 they were talking to each other about Jihad and martyrdom before they became engaged and then married and lived together in the United States,” FBI Director James Comey told Congress Wednesday.
- Photos: Inside the San Bernardino shooters’ home
- Related: Did San Bernardino couple have help?
- Expert: ISIS can claim victory in California shooting
Investigators continue to pour through documents and other evidence found inside their home, and now say the couple had been practicing at shooting ranges and likely plotting their attack for more than a year.
“We are also working very hard to understand whether there was anybody else involved with assisting them, with supporting them, with equipping them,” Comey said.
That part of the investigation is focused now on a number of people witnesses saw entering Farook’s garage in the months prior to the attack.
Read more: Click here.
Copyright 2015 NBC News