Candle started fire that destroyed multi-family home in Ware

Six people have to find someplace else to live

WARE, Mass. (WWLP) – State Fire investigators blame a candle for starting a fire that destroyed a multi-family home in Ware early Wednesday.

Ware Fire Lt. Jeremy Boulrice told 22News the call for the fire at the two-family home at 10 Vigeant Street came in just after 5 a.m. Wednesday.

House fire in ware on vigeant stWare Fire Chief Thomas Coulombe told 22News that all six people who lived there safely made it out. All six residents lived on the top floor, two of whom were taken to the hospital as a precaution because of all the smoke that they had breathed in.

Next door neighbors had to be evacuated, because the homes are so close together.

People who live across the street from the fire told 22News that they woke up to people screaming as they ran out of the burning home.

“Scared for the people next door you know? Hoping everybody was alright, because people were screaming there were people inside, and I was like, ‘Oh my God is everyone going to get out okay?’ But luckily, everyone is out alright,” Justin Chartier of Ware said.

The Warren, Palmer and Hardwick fire departments were called in to help Ware firefighters.

Chief Coulombe told 22News that the power was shut off for much of the neighborhood on and near Vigeant Street as a safety precaution.

The American Red Cross was there Wednesday morning to provide clothing, arrange temporary shelter, and help start the recovery process for the displaced residents.

Massachusetts Fire Marshal spokeswoman Jennifer Mieth told 22News that the fire was started by a candle in a second-floor bathroom.

Last year, candles were blamed for 126 fires across Massachusetts. State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan said that that more candle fires take place between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Eve than at any other time of the year.

ware house fire back

Click here to view the map on your mobile device.

Comments are closed.