How to make sure you won’t be allergic to your Christmas tree

CHICOPEE, Mass. (WWLP) – It’s that time of year many people put up their Christmas trees. 22News is working for you with what you may want to watch out for though if you’re an allergy sufferer.

If you’re sneezing and sniffling it may not be a cold, it could be your Christmas tree.

Now that the holidays are here many families are picking out their Christmas trees but before you put it up in your living room you may want to take some precautions if you suffer from allergies.

Live trees can carry microscopic mold spores that can bring on symptoms within the first two weeks of putting up the tree. The sap from the tree can also cause problems.

Allergist Dr. Robert McGovern told 22News, “Pine tree sap can break down into a chemical called colophony which can cause contact dermatitis so if you get in contact with the sap, some people have an allergy to colophony that you can treat with a corticosteroid cream.”

You can wear gloves and long sleeves when bringing the tree indoors to keep your skin from touching the sap.

Artificial Christmas trees that are stored in places that can collect dust and dirt can also bring on allergy symptoms.

Comments are closed.