BOSTON (WWLP) – Open enrollment began on Sunday, allowing residents who don’t receive health insurance through their employer to shop for plans on the Internet. The state is trying to avoid another rocky roll out of the Health Connector website.
Massachusetts Health Connector Executive Director Louis Gutierrez told 22News, “A lot of training has gone into our call center for our call center reps and so it’s our intention that we get better and better.”
Last year, many people had difficulty processing their insurance plan payments on the website, and faced lengthy wait times to the call center. The Health Connector has since upgraded the computer software. They now receive about 4,000 daily callers. The average wait time is just ten seconds.
The state has spent about $283 million dollars to build, and ultimately fix the Health Connector. The original cost estimate was $175 million dollars. One lawmaker believes the legislature needs to make sure all that money didn’t go to waste.
“Well, that’s unfortunate, so that’s what I mean. We need to keep a close eye on it, some of these operating expenses,” said State Rep. Bruce Ayers (D-Quincy).
Open enrollment will run through the end of January 2016.
The Health Connector hopes to “connect” close to 200,000 residents with insurance by the end of the open enrollment period.