LONGMEADOW, Mass. (WWLP) – A fire that started in a parked camper destroyed a home in Longmeadow Tuesday morning.
Smoke and flames were coming from the roof of the house when our 22News crew arrived on Elmwood Avenue. Heavy smoke was also coming from the side of the house.
Longmeadow Fire Chief John Dearborn told 22News that the fire started just before 9:30 Tuesday morning in camper parked in the driveway. There was propane aboard the camper for heating, and Dearborn said that this caused the fire to grow.
Neighbors told 22news that heard a large boom before they came out to find the house fully engulfed.
“My wife came in the house, said the house across the street was on fire and the van was on fire. So i ran outside and seen that the van was on fire, and seen that the house was on fire so I ran up to the front door and kicked the door in and we got the husband out and the wife out of the house, and they ran to the side and we got them across the street,” Steven Ferulo said.
Both residents of the home escaped safely, and their two dogs are also safe, though the house is a complete loss.