Afghan hospital bombing investigation

U.S. soldiers walk into the charred remains of the Doctors Without Borders hospital in Kunduz, Afghanistan, Thursday, Oct. 15, 2015. The attack, which killed a number of hospital staff and patients, was intended to back up Afghan forces fighting to dislodge Taliban insurgents who overran the strategic city earlier in the month. (Najim Rahim via AP)

KUNDUZ, Afghanistan (NBC) – Medical charity Doctors Without Borders is challenging American Military assertions that the bombing raid on its hospital in Afghanistan was a mistake.

The October 3rd U.S. airstrike on the compound in Kunduz killed at least 22 patients and hospital staff.

President Obama has apologized for the attack, and the commander of U.S. and N.A.T.O. troops in Afghanistan said it was a mistake.

He said the strike had been called in by Afghan Forces, but has not explained exactly how it happened or who granted final approval.

Internal military investigations are underway, with preliminary results expected in the coming days.

The general director of doctors without borders said the attack should be investigated as a possible war crime.

Comments are closed.